WTF does 805West mean Anyway


It has just recently occurred to me that the name 805 West might be confusing. Maybe a little background into my vain existence will make you go "Oh, okay!" or "oh, I guess" following up with "still a f*ckin' dumb name."

I wasn't in love with it either, but it has grown on me, because IMO it fits in with things San Diego.

I am aware that San Diego's area code is 619 (or 858 if you're from the Snobby Shores side of the county). The name "805" does not refer to the are code of Santa Barbara or SLO.

Some of you from said North might not know this, but there is a Interstate that runs through San Diego from the border to Sorrento Valley. I have included a picture for those of you in disbelief.



The wikipedia post is right here. I promise it's a real thing. I drive on it almost daily.

"But, it goes North and South dum dum." -- Caleb from Poway...probably 

I know I know. That's where I had a little fun. I use the "West" to represent the West Side of Chula Vista, the once voted most boring city in America" by someone on some site. F*ck that guy by the way. Clearly hasn't been to 3rd Ave lately, which is poppin' like North Park in 2008.

West Side of 805


I was born and raised in the 91910, which is in the pic above. In my youth I created something in my mind that simply does not exist: a rivalry between the West side of  Chula Vista (OG Side) and the East side, commonly known as Eastlake (and now Otay Ranch, etc). Hated those preppies on the east side of the 805 growing up. But with reasons I will divulge if you're still on the hook.

My dad bounced around a lot after my parents split up when I was a young kid. My dad lived all over San Diego. Some of my earliest memories of places in SD other than Chula Vista include walking down the streets of OB to a nearby arcade where we would play air hockey, or going to Family Fun Center (Not Boomers) on Clairemont Mesa Blvd when he lived in that area.

Years later he was near Eastlake. This was still before the 125 or Olympic Parkway were real things. He lived off Rutgers Ave (SWC area) when everything on the south side of Telegraph Canyon Rd was still just a bunch of grass hills. Then he was in Eastlake Shores, and then the big time: Eastlake Greens.

The houses in Eastlake were mansions compared to my house or my friends' homes over on the west side. The kids had cooler shit, bigger TVs, sick ass Slammers and Pogs, the YoYo's that light up and make cool noises. A real life Eagleton-Pawnee scenario. I couldn't find the words at that age but I was sure of one thing, I didn't like it on this side of town. I was a little boy version of Leslie Knope.


So I have kind of grown up and sort of realized how childish that is, especially since some of the kids I used to hate I grew to like and happy to call my friends. But I'm not completely mature; some of the things Amy Poehler used in that rant I find still very much applies to the east side and their feelings of superiority to residents of downtown Chula Vista. Think Dave Palet the Doyer fan: east side people in a nutshell.

That's pretty much it. 805West is simply a way to refer to OG Chula Vista. Trying to put us on the map I have a feeling most San Diego bloggers are closer to San Clemente than Downtown SD. S/o to James Clark at EVT. He's a South Bay guy! Also gave me my start as a blogger as mentioned in the first post here on 805West.

West side for life son! Wu Tang!





Comments