Favorite Story from "Mr. Padre" last night


My favorite story from last night's brilliant piece on MLB Network about Tony Gwynn came from Tim Flannery. The clip is right here (If you didn't watch the entire special last night, do yourself a favor and do so ASAP. )

No words, just wow. We all know who TG was as a player, but this is next level stuff. I could have watched an hour five hours of stories just like this one. Tony was my favorite player growing up and will always be my favorite player of all time. I am pissed I was too young to really appreciate his greatness.

My grandma is a HUGE Padres fan, and I would go to her house after school from kindergarten through 8th grade. We would listen to Padres games together on the radio all the time and you better believe I perked up whenever I heard Jerry Coleman or Uncle Teddy say the words "Tony Gwynn" through the radio that looked like it was constructed before electricity was a thing.

I will always remember one day when Grandma picked me up from school, there was no "How was your day/What did you learn?" talk. The Padres played a day-game that day, and Grandma Kelley screamed as I opened the car door..."TONY GWYNN WENT 5 FOR 5 TODAY."

We miss you and love you 19

Aside: Remember when only like 5 games a year were on TV? The 3 games at Wrigley on WGN and maybe one here or there. I remember when Channel 4SD became a thing and got excited about 40 games a year becoming available on TV. You young people don't realize the struggle we went through.


Comments